Saturday, May 8, 2010

The learning curve

I wanted to scan a picture of the St. Louis Arch but my scanner is on the fritz.

Anyway, I spent part of my day going thru seven years of papers from classes, conferences, internet etc., and filing, tossing and rereading (as in good editor/writer critiques) and realized how much I have grown as a writer/illustrator in that time. I also realized how much the industry has changed (half the staff is no longer there) and what I have to do to with my mss/dummies to make them marketable. I put critiques with mss and or dummies... and I read them now with courage and knowledge and desire to tackle.

The good news is I that I have a few that I KNOW are close to marketable. The bad news is that I have some dummies and mss that need work... but I am no longer clueless as to how to fix them. And some that need to be finished... aha.

What I learned about myself as a writer is that I sometimes write two stories at once... and I have to pick one and chop the other. I GET IT. Finally.

But now my studio is organized by files for every ms project, a file for agent/interview questions, a big fat file of writing tips, a file for illustration tips, a file for making my own bio, a file of editor bios which needs editing..., a file of all kinds of rejections, and a file for my own personal needs/research.

I have a lot of work to do.

But I have come a long way in eight years and have a few projects close to go.

The learning curve for writer/illustrator is winding down I hope.

Or maybe it isn't a curve at all but is a circle. Heheh.

No comments: