Friday, October 24, 2008

Creativity is solving problems

I am about half way done with this intricate Barrio collage having most of it built and now I apply the finishing touches of detail, light, contrast etc.. I looks great IMHO with young child appeal.
But with many projects come the little problems and how to solve them. Here it is color. When you work in color you must think carefully of your palette. If you apply too many colors you will kill your focus(es) and your overall look. After a great deal of thought I solved my little problem.

Also, with collage you must think about stages of application. Like those fire hydrant sprays will be the very last thing applied. 

The AD provided a wonderful critique of initial sketch because it was objective only. You get a passage of text and know what has to be there. But how do you do it with your space given?How do you make solutions to problems?



If this leads nowhere, it will be a great portfolio piece. And proof that I can figure out solutions and work with people who ask questions and provide guidance and encouragement. 

And this has bolstered my confidence and enthusiasm for illustration. I love this. I am good at this. And I have something of value to offer that holds up consistently.

I just need the opportunity. This would be a great house to work with, I know that!

And if Henry the Hotspur asks me to cut out his artwork for his playing card Halloween costume, I am going to have to say, "You can solve this yourself. YOU can do this yourself."

And you can. That is what creativity is.

Now if we can just get our financial system to figure that out.

No comments: