Monday, April 6, 2009

Professional writers who don't write well (and me?)

Today I spent a good portion of my work day with my boss editing a marketing letter. The letter was laden with repetition, misused comparatives (like 'more true'), delinquent header info and sentences all starting with We (in the same paragraph). Then there were the split and unnecessary paragraphs and poor word choices like 'free advice'. This letter also contained a really bad opening line that read, "They say things come in 3s...well." What it should have read is something like "You may think things come in 3s...well," which clearly draws the reader in.

People get paid a lot of money to do this, and I get paid a little to edit them. And I am no editor. Just a good writer. :) Because I am starting to read closely. That is what pb writing does to you. And cover letter writing...and query writing.

I should write marketing letters. I'd do better than this guy. More true.

No comments: