Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lasting greatness

I've been thinking a lot about what I think makes a picture book great. And there is no one thing or formula.  But gosh, I want to find a common denominator. And I think that that is the big idea and or the format of text and or visual. These are the ones that last. They must be universal, innovative (and original in the way they are done and what they say), accessible, expressive, narrative and very visual with both language and art...and I also love movement and gesture and body language. And I am sorry but they appeal both to children and adults because we are the same except for the accumulation of years ...as in don't insult our intelligence)

I think I have done that with mine out there...God I hope so................


Long live Steig, Sendak and you newercomers like Portis, and not so newcomers but in the middle like Small and Bliss etc..

You rock.

No comments: