Monday, January 14, 2008

You know...Juno!

My daughter's friend's mom is part of the Screen Actors Guild. So she gets pre-DVDs, and gets to rate movies before they come out. So we got to watch Juno in the comfort of our own home before it hit the theater. So what does this have to do with writing for children??

Well............my daughters and husband LOVED it. I liked it.

I LOVED the mc. The boyfriend, though. Oh, those boyfriends. He bothered me because he wasn't there enough for her. Now my husband says vehemently, "You don't KNOW what 16 year old boys are like. They wouldn't be there, in her face."

He's right. And because I have never been a sixteen year old boy, I don't identify.

So this is why I don't write YA for teen boys. How do you female writers do it? How do you relate to teen boy protags?

I want to know.

Now ask me how I relate to five year olds. I don't know if I could give you an answer. The only thing I could say is I REMEMBER. Good and bad.

Keep writing and illustrating!!!!!

No comments: